Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Qahwa ‘Arabiyya or Coffea Arabica

I tasted my first cup of Arabic coffee while waiting to get my finger prints taken in the international arrival line. Don’t expect this treatment when you go, I think it had something to do with being the only white female in the bunch. A uniformed worker approached with a thermos, announcing, “Coffee Arabia!” and handed me a tiny porcelain cup.

Traditional Arabic coffee cup. Source: Wikipedia

The experience of drinking Arabic coffee is a tradition and every element of the practice has a history and reason for being. I am told; the portions are always small so that your host may serve you again and again. The lip of the cup symbolizes the curves of the Arabian sand dunes. Served with dates, this drink will always be present in important meetings to show good will.

Coffee plant indigenous to Yemen. Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment